Useful Perhaps

"What I'm use to isn't useful anymore."
~Duawne Starling, singer/songwriter



In Celebration of The Fourth

Even as a Black man, I choose the celebrate the 4th of July simply because there are too many good people--beyond just my black kin whom I must honor--who have given their lives for the hopes, promises and best intuitions of these United States. Nevertheless, I understand and stand in solidarity with those marginalized and exploitated masses who do not. I celebrate them as well and labour in hope of the future enfranchisement of all. Part of my celebration is to reflect on the propetic words of Fredrick Douglass' historic meditaion on the hypocrisy of America's Independence Day and allow myself to be indicted by any portion of his greivance that remains yet unredressed. I invite you, whoever you may be, to join me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home