Useful Perhaps

"What I'm use to isn't useful anymore."
~Duawne Starling, singer/songwriter



Who Would've Thunk It?


I have a confession to make. I have started doing something that I never thought I would. It's nothing 'bad'... really. Although I have recently been tempted to take up a pipe after driving a friend's car full of the fragrance of cured pipe-weed (I love that smell). No, nothing 'bad'. I've just become a contributing writer for a decidedly SDA blog.

Now if you are not SDA or haven't known me very long, you may not get exactly how ironic this is. But rest assured, it is.

The good thing is that no one is expecting me to write on exclusively SDA themes, which is a good thing. I don't think I would know how. As I shared with the moderator, Marcel, who invited me:

I don't usually write about being Adventist and don''t have an authentic Adventist sensibility about much of anything anymore. As I went back to read what I had written that might have ever caught your attention, I marveled at how all themes spiritual seemed to come together in my blogging at that particular moment in August. I imagine my contribution to Re-inventing the Wheel (clever name btw) might be so sparse as to not warrant posting. Not to mention the fact that I struggle to maintain any type of vibrant connection with a local Adventist congregation these days. I would be afraid that my comments on a blog for Adventists by Adventists might not be sufficiently grounded in daily Adventist struggles.
He said that was exactly why he was inviting me to join. So my first post was about Poker (an Adventist no-no) as a springboard toward a better metaphor for life. Check it out.

(The above picture, by the way, use to hang in my grandfather's basement. It's strange how the oddest things can bring back the fondest memories :-)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Marcel said...

Poker may be an SDA no no, but I once gambled all night in an SDA college playing blackjack and, yes, you guessed it, UNO.

Thanks again for helping shift perceptions over at Re-inventing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home