Useful Perhaps

"What I'm use to isn't useful anymore."
~Duawne Starling, singer/songwriter



I Too!

I Too
by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.


Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table
When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.


Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.



Today is "Tomorrow," Brudda Langston. And in honor of it I gladly, full of the audacity of hope choose my American-ness for myself for the first time in my life. May God bless America... and everyone else!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melvin - I was thinking about you as we talked election results yesterday in Colorado. I was wondering if you'd do a post about - what now? Surely Obama's election can only be the beginning of dialogue about racism in America? But where do we go from here? (I'm white, I have no idea. :) Well, not really.)

I heard from someone who heard from someone who heard from someone - Rosa Parks sat so that Martin Luther King Jr could stand. Martin Luther King Jr. stood so that Barack Obama could run. Barack Obama runs so that our children can fly.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Melvin Bray, coordinating storyteller said...

hey, aerin. harriett tubman and frederick douglass crawled so rosa could sit... so that our children can fly--you're exactly right!

as for where next, no whole thoughts yet, just images, just taking it all in. stay tuned...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home